Saturday, November 29, 2008

First part of weekend.

Actually I´ll start with Friday. I had extra classes Friday night because we didn´t have art on Monday so we needed to make it up on Friday. After that I went home, ate a quick dinner of Rice and Duck and dressed up to go to the theater! We all had tickets to go to the Teatro Viriato because Sofia and Louis donate there anually. The play we went to see was called The Café and it was probably the most bizzare spectacle I´ve ever seen. Don´t get me wrong, it was a spectacular peice of art, but as far as being even close to comprehensible... Well. I understood most of what was being said, all of it was in Portuguese of course. But the plot of the play was strenuous. I´ll start with describing the theater itself. Teatro Viriato is situated on the corner of a city block, part of a cluster of buildings. The corner it is on is rounded and the theater is shaped like a triangle with the corner facing the street rounded. The whole side is a group of windows and inside you can see three levels. Each level has a balcony looking out the window and sorrounding what looks like a giant column. On the bottom is ticket sales, second is a bar and the third level has entrances to the theater. This column is hollow and inside is the theater. On the floor (bottom level) of the chamber are a bunch of seats and the other levels around the edge on the inside have seats as well. The stage is situated just off the edge of the column. It is a really cool building. The stage was set up like a Coffee shop, it had tables and chairs and stuff. Around the edge of the stage were screens and cameras and props (Like fish tanks with little boats in them) and other random weird stuff. The actors would give all their monologues and soliloquies into a mic with a camera on top and the resulting images were then displayed on all of the screens around us. The script was about a Coffee shop next to a gambling parlour and the troubled gamblers who would go get coffee. I won´t say more incase any of you want to see the play. The whole time there was a narrator who would walk around the stage all serious and constantly changing costumes, the only words he would ever say were amounts of money and when anyone would start to say a price he would say it aloud for them. I dunno, it was really odd. I really liked it though. After the play I went straight home and fell asleep. Today (saturday) I woke up and had tennis. That was fine. On our way home from tennis it started snowing! More like slushing but it was great. I have been home the rest of the day as I am tired and the weather is just too cold and too wet to go out. :( Tonight we´re going to have dinner at Louis´ parents house. That´ll be cool. And then who knows? I don´t have school this Monday so we´ll see where I get to!

No comments: