Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Weekend.

So this last weekend was really fun. On saturday I woke up and had tennis as usual. After tennis I went home and took a quick shower, dressed up in my suit and headed to Fun Languages to do a presentation with one of the advanced classes. Only two students could show up that day (Out of about 8) but I did the presentation anyway. I started out talking about the states and where I´m from and then we moved into politics, the (post)election and the current global economic crises. I got to draw fun, un-accurate graphs on the white board and joke around about the dollar bill that was on the table, I said it was hardly worth their time to pcik it up! It was all in good fun and we all had a good time. After that I went home and prepared for a friend of mines birthday party that was to be that night. At about 7:30 I met up with another friend and we headed to the club where the Birthday party was going to be. The club is called City-ponto-come (pronounced City-point-com like a web address.) It is a big building with several dining rooms, a main dance floor and an upper level lounge. We first all met up in the lobby and were each given a card to buy things with. You use this card to buy whatever you want and then when you leave you pay the balance on your card (a good marketing strategy if you ask me). We all ate dinner together and chatted about whatever and then headed up to the lounge to play billiards. After about two hours of this a live-band began to play on the stage/dance floor and we all went to watch. I guess the band is pretty famous, they´re called ON A PLAIN and they are a portuguese chick rock band but the lyrics are all in english. It was pretty good and we all had fun. After that I went home with two other freinds and went to sleep. The next day (sunday) was rad. I woke up and made pancakes for everyone, ate my fill and took a shower. When I got out of the shower I was suprised to find another exchange student, Kaylah from Boston, waiting in out living room. Kaylah is with a different program than me and she lives about 20minutes by car away from Viseu. We don´t really see each other much, infact this was only the second time we had met. Well all of us, Sofia, Louis, Afonso, Kika, Amelia (My Grandma) and Ellen (an english teacher at Fun Languages who we met up with) went out to lunch at a Brazilian Rotisery grill. How this restaurant works is really cool, everyone sits around a big table and the cook brings out one giant skewer of meat at a time. All the meat is really, really good and done to your liking. You take however much meat you want off the skewer and then the waiter passes on to the next person. This cycle of bringing different meats continues until it is humanly impossible to eat any more and then you go for dessert. For the main meal I had all kinds of meat but one that really stuck in my mind were the most delicous (actually only) chicken hearts I have ever had. While being here I have also tried, like and continue to eat Rabbit, baby goat, entire roasted pig, octopus (not to uncommon) and other foods not un-heard of in the States but not necessarily normal. One food I´ve really acquired a taste for are Chestnuts or buckeys, here called castanhos. They are prepared in all types of ways and can accompany anything from seafood, goat to chocolate cake. They are also really good solo. Well after this intricate lunch followed by roasted bananas we went to a medeival town called Almeida (I´m sorry I can´t actually remember the name now, but I´m 99.99% sure thats right). This town is a really small restored medeival Portugues village that is open for tourists and the like on weekends. I don´t think anyone really lives there full time. The town is tucked away on the side of a small valley fairly distant from any major roadways or towns. Viseu is about 20-30 minutes by car. It is the most rustic (portuguese style rustic) place I have ever seen. The town actually has a really nice website about it and I´m sure it´d be easy to find with a quick google search if you are so inclined. After wandering the streets of this little settlement we headed back home. On monday I got my first big Philosophy test back and was stoked and shocked to see I got a 13 (out of 20 possible points)! This test was and the class is, of course, entirely in Portuguese, and me with out ever taking a formal Philosophy class prior to this one was very impressed. I´m also really looking forward to this next weekend as an AFS friend of mine is coming up from Lisbon to stay with me friday through sunday! Well, that´s all for now, Até Já!

1 comment:

FreshFood said...

Congratulations, dear Habibi, on the philosophy test! That means you are really understanding Portuguese...really! Congratulations!!!!!
xo
Mama