Sunday, September 14, 2008

Amazing Day.

Today was so sick! I woke up around nine and went to watch an Urban Downhill Mountain Bike Race with my host father Louis. We watched practice runs for a while until we learned that the competition didn´t start until after two. This worked out perfectly as we had to attend a luncheon with my Grandma around one. We headed home to get ready and pick up the rest of the family and headed literally across the street to a five-star hotel-spa-restaurant. There they had the best buffet I have ever seen and we indulged ourselves until we could hardly walk. After that it was back to the racecourse for me and Louis. We watched the race until it ended at around six. This Urban Downhill business is some of the craziest, gnarliest riding I have ever seen. And some of the most poetic. The riders started in a church courtyard older than the United States, dropped down massive stairsets and wove through closely-nit granite buildings and skidded over rough cobble stone pathways. I didn´t have my camera and am very bummed I couldn´t document it. Louis had his phone and we got some videos and pictures. I´m sure if you wanted you could google it and find some info/pictures. Just type in Viseu Urban Downhill or something. Oh, and the hotel we had lunch at is called Hotel Monebelo and it is litterally across the street from our house.

4 comments:

Kevin Cassidy said...

Bro!!

glad to hear that you're having a good time, i bet your stoked that the buffet is across the street from your house.

everyone here misses you, but we know you're having an awesome experience.

will hasn't got into to many hard drugs yet. and he said he's using a condom most of the time.


keep writing,
-Kevin

Anonymous said...

hey habibi!
sitting here with dad having lunch, checked your blog for what's new. saw photos of the hotel but couldn't find the urban downhill. sean d called me! he'd love that urban downhill, i bet...you can start a race when you get home. would be a good senior project!
xo
your mother and father

mjs said...

good morning - just dropped Will off at school and am now settling into my day at the office and wondering how goes your Portugese and your school work. is autumn on its way in Portugal? my best to you and your host family.L, Dad

Unknown said...

Ben! Dude, sounds absoulutely epic. Hey I want to hear about the parkour scene, let me know whats up. A buffet across the street, ¡Que Rico!
Anyways, my exchange is going to be a shitload of school, but it is chill because life is still swell. I hope the portuguese is coming along well. My Spanish is definatly getting much better. Rock On dude, Lets meet in our dreams dude. I've been having the wierdest dreams here and many have been with you, tilly and all my awesome friends.

Chao